Over 70 Years of Combined Legal Experience



3301 Dudley Ave.
Parkersburg, WV 26104

This firm uses the Mycase firm
management/client access program

Car Accident with an Out-of-State Driver?

What You Need to Know in West Virginia and Ohio

The attorneys of Summers & Associates are aware of what can happen if you are in a car accident involving an out-of-state driver. We are a law firm representing clients in the region of Parkersburg, West Virginia. Our lawyers handle these types of accident matters regularly. If you were ever in a car accident, then you already know the many questions that can come from an awful situation.


In our previous post on accident claims, one of the proactive steps mentioned was the importance of recording information. This critical step is, in fact, only the beginning. There are a number of other actions to take after a car accident involving an out-of-state driver.


One main caution relating to accidents in general is not to give details to the insurance company or the police without speaking with a lawyer first. Having a lawyer present or obtaining sound legal advice is important. This is true regardless of who might be at fault for the crash and serves as an important step to protect your rights.


Out-of-State Driver Car Accidents in the Parkersburg, WV, Region

Having a car accident in the Parkersburg, WV, region is bad enough. Struggling afterward to know how to investigate who is at fault or where to file insurance claims can add to the frustration. This can be especially burdensome if the car accident involves serious injury or other damages.


Trying to manage problems related to your own injuries or vehicle damage after an accident with an out-of-state driver is difficult. There are added medical bills, time off from work, and other damages to consider. These are matters best to review with someone who can advise you on the law and what is possible. As you might know, determining fault is important in getting compensation for any medical bills and property damages. Both Ohio and West Virginia are fault-based insurance states.


If a car accident occurs between drivers from West Virginia and Ohio, you must file for damages in the state of the driver at fault for the crash. Generally, the state where the accident takes place has jurisdiction for determining who is liable for resulting damages. This includes what legal options are available to accident victims who seek damages.


Minimum Liability Insurance Limits Vary by State

You might already be aware that the laws of each state can have different requirements when it comes to liability insurance. There are minimum amounts of coverage that drivers must carry to drive vehicles legally. Look at the differences right in our region of the country as they relate to the states of West Virginia and Ohio:


  • In West Virginia, the minimum liability for personal injury is $20,000 per person up to $40,000 per accident, and $10,000 for property damages.
  • In Ohio, the minimum personal injury liability amount is $25,000 up to $50,000 per accident, with $25,000 for property damages.


Drivers in accidents from “no fault” states may think that insurance companies will pay damages by each driver’s insurance policy, regardless of fault. However, in many accident cases, claimants still struggle. Insurance adjusters will use any opportunity to deny claims or offer lower settlements to drivers or accident victims not represented by an attorney.


Protect Your Rights After a Car Accident with an Out-of-State Driver

The accident may leave you feeling shocked, panicked, and out of sorts. This is a criticala time when you need to protect your rights the most. Previously, we reviewed some basic steps to take in the moments after a car accident. Call police, get medical help, take photos, record names of witnesses, notify your insurance company, and never admit fault.


After a car accident involving an out-of-state driver, you may also have many unanswered questions about filing insurance claims. Reviewing these matters with an experienced attorney at Summers & Associates can help. Together, we can review how insurance coverage works in another state. We can help file a claim for injuries and damages. Provided you have sufficient auto insurance coverage and the claim meets policy guidelines, there should be no trouble receiving compensation.


However, some adjusters or insurers may use arguments of fault or jurisdiction to deny coverage unreasonably. The days, weeks, and months following an accident with an out-of-state driver can be frustrating, to say the least. Working closely with a lawyer will put your mind at ease and help to uphold and protect your rights.


Aid from Summers & Associates in Filing Injury Claims

Earlier, we mentioned the different insurance requirements in West Virginia and Ohio. Let’s imagine you are in an accident that resulted in serious injuries. You may have to file an injury claim for yourself or a loved one to cover such things as medical bills, vehicle damage, and other expenses.


Filing an injury claim is subject to the laws and limitations of the state where the accident occurred. The insurance amounts may vary significantly from state to state. Help from a skilled attorney from Summers & Associates is crucial after a serious accident with injuries. Having an experienced accident lawyer on your side will ease the claim filing and the process of recovery.


Accident matters involving an out-of-state driver are always different. For better or worse, the limitations and conditions that exist in various states affect injury claims. If you suffered injury from a car accident with an out-of-state driver, speak with a knowledgeable attorney promptly. Call or contact Summers & Associates in Parkersburg, West Virginia, for a consultation. We serve residents of West Virginia and Ohio who need advice on accident and injury matters in both states.


Summers & Associates is a law firm serving clients in the region of Parkersburg, West Virginia, for personal injury, criminal, and family law matters. Call our office today at (304) 420-0975, or contact us anytime via live chat on our website on a car accident with an out-of-state driver.